Dear Incoming Eighth Graders,
Summer is here, and with summer comes leisure time to read and enjoy good books! During the year, we tend to become very busy in our daily lives. Hopefully you will have some much deserved down time this summer vacation. Your next year’s English teacher, however, would like you to continue to read and think critically.
Each of you must read at least three books this summer. In eighth grade, one book is required for English class, one is required for History class, and one is the teacher recommended book. You must read Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson, The Long Road to Gettysburg by Jim Murphy, and your choice of the following:
Teacher Recommended Text (pick one):
- Bloomability by Sharon Creech (with Ms. Caldwell)
- The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Galleway (with Mr. Gillis)
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (with Mr. Goodwin)
- The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood (w/ Mrs. Hager)
- Because of the Rabbit by Cynthia Lord (with Mrs. Harrington)
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein (with Ms. Hurlburt)
If you are an international student in ELL, you’ll read Gettysburg by Josh Gregory instead of The Long Road to Gettysburg. There is a separate assignment online for you to complete.
You will be asked to complete the two specific sets of reflection questions. This written documentation will serve as focus points for class discussions in the beginning of the school year in the fall. These forms are available above. Nothing written is required for the third teacher recommended book.
Please bring your written responses and books to your first classes next fall. Have a wonderful summer and happy reading!
Miss Caldwell, English Department Chair